Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP)
If you are 55 or older, unemployed and looking to reenter the workforce, you may qualify for the Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP). Programs are administered in each of Mississippi’s 82 counties by the entities identified in the Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP) Projects Directory.
The SCSEP is an employment training program for Mississippians aged 55 years and older. The program provides subsidized, part-time work experience for a limited time through community service, enabling seniors to obtain the skills necessary for permanent employment. Participants in the program learn new skills and talents or enhance existing ones to become competitive in today's workforce.
Who is Eligible?
- 55 years of age or older
- Mississippi resident
- Few employment prospects
- Meet low-income guidelines (See below or click here to download.)
How Can SCSEP Help You?
- Receive an income and pursue individual economic self-sufficiency
- Develop new skills
- Feel useful and needed
- Make new friends and stay in touch with the world
- Have a sense of achievement and accomplishment
- Know that you are a valuable asset to the community
- Enjoy the benefits of a regular job after participating in the SCSEP
What Services Are Provided?
- You will receive orientation, community service assignments, training opportunities, supportive services, and are offered a free physical examination.
- We will assess your eligibility, work history, skills and interests, talents, physical capabilities, need for supportive services, potential for performing community service assignments, and potential for transition to a regular job.
- You will usually work up to 20 hours per week and receive the federal minimum wage, which is currently $7.25. Limited fringe benefits are also provided.
The Senior Community Service Employment Program is funded under Title V of the Older Americans Act. It is administered by the Mississippi Department of Employment Security through area agencies on aging and various other non-profit organizations.
Click here to find the program operator in your county.
Mississippi SCSEP State Plan 2012-2015
Mississippi SCSEP State Plan 2012-2015 Modification
State Plan for the Senior Community Service Employment
Program Modification for public review and comment.
Please download for more information.